About Fall Festival
October 12, 2019
University of New Hampshire
Our Fall Orchestra Festival is held annually at UNH in Durham. This festival is open to any student in grades 9-12. Home-schooled students of the same age are also welcome to attend. Participation is open to any student who would like to attend, and is not limited to New Hampshire residents or the students of NHASTA members. During the festival day, about 100 high school string students participate in one of two orchestras, which are complemented by wind, brass and percussion players from the UNH Symphony.
This year’s festival will feature Ben Greene as conductor of the Chamber Orchestra, and Dr. David Upham as conductor of the Festival Orchestra.
Registration is now open for the 2019 Fall Orchestra Festival!
Students are placed via their teacher’s recommendation. Either a private instructor or school orchestra director can recommend students.
FOR STUDENTS and PARENTS
Students and Parents: If you would like to learn more about the Fall Orchestra Festival, please download and read the following document: Fall Festival_Student Family Info 2019
The following is the document that must be completed and turned in to your teacher. It contains both the Student Registration Form and a required Emergency/Medical Release Form. Fall Festival_Student Registration and Emergency Form 2019
A Festival Registration fee of $25 is required. Please refer to you teacher’s instructions regarding payment of this fee.
PLEASE NOTE: Student participation in the festival is exclusively through teacher recommendation. Direct student applications will not be accepted.
To learn how to register your students for the festival, please download and read the following document: Fall Festival_Teacher Info and Checklist 2019
If you have questions after reading the Teacher Information and Checklist, please contact the festival organizer: David.Upham@unh.edu
Briefly, the recommendation process includes the following steps:
1) Identify students you’d like to recommend, and distribute copies of the Student and Family Information letter found here: Fall Festival_Student Family Info 2019
2) Gather the following, required forms from students: Fall Festival_Student Registration and Emergency Form 2019
3) Gather a $25 registration fee from each student. Checks must be made payable to “NHASTA”. You may send individual student checks, or gather them into a single payment.
4) When you have all the student forms and payments, complete your recommendations online.
- Recommending Teacher Survey (complete ONLY ONCE): https://goo.gl/forms/YhkP0cTan9ITAJ2H2
- Student Recommendation Form (repeat as needed): https://goo.gl/forms/e9WKb1fDgPRuFvPL2
5) Send all registration forms and payment to the festival organizer.
Dr. David Upham
Music Department, PCAC
30 Academic Way
Durham, NH 03824
6) Once the orchestras are formed, you will receive an email notifying you of your students’ placement in either the Chamber or Festival Orchestra. Distribute the music and help them prepare!
CHAMBER ORCHESTRA: Chamber Orchestra members are typically older and more advanced students who play with a strong, resonant tone, solid intonation in multiple positions, and are capable of a variety of bow strokes including off-the-string bowings. In 2018, the Chamber Orchestra performed the original, authentic versions of the first movement of Mozart’s Symphony No. 25, Grieg’s “Heart’s Wounds”, and Bizet’s “Farandole”.
FESTIVAL ORCHESTRA: Festival Orchestra members are typically younger students who also play with strong tone quality, solid rhythmic skills, and have dependable intonation in first position. Some advanced passages of music (first violin parts, upper divisi parts) require additional positions, such as third positions for the violins. In 2018, the Festival Orchestra performed educational arrangements of Berlioz’s “March to the Scaffold”, Vaughan Williams’ Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis, and Saint-Saens’ “Bacchanale”.
PLEASE NOTE: With rare exceptions, freshman students are placed in the Festival Orchestra.